Thursday, July 17, 2008

Your Personal Brand

I have been following the micro-blogging trend over at twitter.com (follow me here: twitter.com/jameshatton). I'm sure I'm not the first to comment on this but it hit me today that one of the trends with the modern web, or Web 2.0 is to use your own name. In the earlier days of the web it was standard to use a pseudonym or alias... starting with hacker names I suppose such as DEATH-OVERDRIVE or NEO. This kind of caught on with other crowds with people naming themselves CatPerson or ILoveIcecream89. With the rise of social networking however people seem or the more willing to use their real names and real photos - if for no other reason then to ensure their friends can find them.

This reminds me of a talk by Gary Vaynerchuk I was lucky enough to attend at the Future Of Web Apps in Miami last year concerning your "personal brand". I could never express it as well as Gary himself... if you've never heard him speak here's your chance: http://garyvaynerchuk.com/2008/07/01/the-personal-brand-gold-rush-is-going-on-where-are-you/

No comments: